Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On funerals and fame

This post is exactly what the title says it is about. Funerals and Fame - Two things that have been on my mind a lot recently.

My brother asked me after reading this, why I'm writing about the things I'm writing about (he meant death). I'm young, happy and all that right? Shouldn't I be writing about society, conformity, rebellion and things like that?
You will know how good/bad a writer you are, only when you write on things you feel passionately about. To see if your writing captures your strong emotions right and if you can make people feel what you're feeling. Some people feel passionately about everything, but that's a different case. I'm definitely not one of those. Who cares about genetic modification or what it does to oranges? I'm happy as long as my oranges are orange, perfectly round and happy-looking.


But now, about death. I've always been fascinated by it. Not because of ghosts, spirits, after-life or any such supernatural concept, but because of its conclusive nature. You are dead, you are done for. Over. Khallas. Soon, there will be no trace of you, unless you bother to leave one. People will forget. They will still love, fight, cry, laugh, study, watch films, make films, work and enjoy a good thrill once in a while. You are born, you live and then one day, you're gone. Just like that! That fascinates me. And so much more.
How much to talk about life, how beautiful it is, how challenging it is, how we should "live life to the fullest" and every other cliche you can think of? Death, makes for an awesome topic. Writing about it demands a certain acceptance, honesty, bitterness and a very perverse sort of optimism. It's like sex, needs to be talked about and mentally prepared for, before the "time arrives". *Chuckle*

Anyway, I've been reading up a lot on having my work published online. From this came 4 things:
a) I want to publish online and therefore be recognised (if not float in money and fame, that is)
b) I don't write enough
c) I'm thoroughly inspired to create once again (after day before, that is)
d) The wait to get noticed is going to be nothing but agonising.

Well, wish me luck!
I'm going to write about things other than death, yes.

EDIT> Could someone tell me how to get that accent on top of "cliche"? I've never known how to do that. And I hope be known as a freelance writer some day. Sigh.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

that cliche thing, i do by this method, i dunno any other:

go to Start->all prog-> accessories->system tools-> character map.

search for the correct accent under "e" and copy paste.

Cuckud said...

khallas!! :P LMAO

Vivek Padmanabhan said...

oranges huh... Flavour of the season?

Jan said...

Umm, flavour of the season. Sure. How random you are, child!

Jan said...

Oo! Thanks Pachi, at least that works! :D