Saturday, August 21, 2010

I cannot write stories. I can write essays even, but not stories. At least not stories that would make for a decent read. I haven't attempted to write a story many times but when I have, I usually get stuck somewhere and then that's that. Several people have told me that when you write stories, you need to write about things from your life and experiences. Stories that have happened to you. And then add little fictional elements to make for a good read. 'How would the reader relate to your story if even you can't relate to it?' Sounds fine. But what about fantasy? And crime fiction? Incredible stories set at far off places with things that you can never imagine the author to have gone through, happening in them? I'm pretty sure Kafka never turned into a “monstrous vermin” during his lifetime. I understand adding things, incidents and little elements from your life to your stories. I'm sure that happens inevitably anyway. But I don't agree that that is the only way to write fiction. I'm still trying to figure out what the other way to write fiction is though. But when I do write a decent story, I hope it won't just be a piece from my life.



On personal news, well, there is none.
Except, my 22nd birthday is coming up in a few days. I don't know how I feel about it. I'm never one to complain about getting older, but 21 just has a better ring to it than 22, doesn't it? Also, I don't want any more 'non-materialistic' friends alright!
I want temporary, fake friends who give me nice gifts wrapped in pretty wrapping paper for no goddamn reason! 

What! At least around the birthdays. Hyuk hyuk hyuk :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

bah.. yeah people add own stuff and all. but regardless, once you get your idea/themes set in mind, you can start riffing. own stuff or out of thin air, it works.. atleast for me. so yeah, there's no one way. try finding your groove, whatever gets you churning out stuff.

Unknown said...

and yeah, i'll give you my fever. wrapped in invisible shiny paper and stuff...

Unknown said...

lol for the previous comment it asked me to type DUMKI for word verification. hahahah.. ok bye.